You know what kind of excellent work your brand does every day to get the job done and satisfy your customers.
But getting the word out to potential customers about what a great job your team is doing takes more than just skillful craftsmanship and a strong work ethic. You’re going to need savvy marketing strategies that get your brand in front of the right people and set your business head and shoulders above your competition.
Easier said than done, but no worries! We’re here to help!
If you’re looking for a guide to the strategies you need for your business to thrive in 2024, then today’s blog is for you.
We're bringing you battle-tested home services marketing strategies that are guaranteed to amplify your reach, captivate your audience, and elevate your home services empire!
Let’s roll up our sleeves and get started!
What is Home Services Marketing?
First off, home service marketing refers to the strategies and activities (online marketing and OOH marketing alike) used by businesses that offer services related to homes, like home improvement and renovation, maintenance, repair, cleaning, landscaping, and more.
The main goal of home services marketing is to promote these services and position a certain brand as the ultimate solution for homeowners and other individuals looking to upgrade, maintain, or repair their properties.
So, how do you position your company in such a way?
In order to effectively market your home services company, you’ll need to thoroughly understand the needs and preferences of your target audience and then use their preferred channels and the right strategies to reach your audience and differentiate yourself from competitors offering similar services.
The 7 Ps of Services Marketing
Before we reveal our winning strategies, just know that many of the strategies highlighted in this article will be based on the 7 Ps of services marketing.
Take a look at that list now and see how you’ll be building your marketing strategies around them.
- Product — Define and showcase the range of home services your business offers. Highlight your unique features, quality, and specialization.
- Price — Strategically set pricing for your services, considering your market competition, perceived value, and potential profit margins.
- Place — Optimize your service delivery locations and channels to ensure accessibility and convenience for your target audience.
- Promotion — Develop impactful promotional strategies to create awareness and generate interest in your home services. Use both online and offline channels for maximum visibility.
- People — Invest in skilled and customer-focused professionals. Emphasize the expertise, reliability, trustworthiness, and overall amazingness of your team.
- Process — Streamline and optimize the processes involved in delivering your home services to ensure efficiency, transparency, and a positive customer experience.
- Physical Evidence — Establish a strong physical presence and provide tangible proof of your service quality. This can include testimonials, before-and-after photos, or any certifications your team or your business has earned.
Home Services Marketing Strategies to Boost Your Brand
Now that you know how important a good marketing strategy is to your home services business, here are 13 strategies to help you reach more customers and set your brand apart!
1. Know Your Audience
Before you can start effectively reaching your target market, you’ll have to know who they are!
Use your data to identify your target demographics. Who is it that’s looking for your services? What do they all have in common? Once you have a better idea, create detailed user personas to represent them.
(If you need a hand creating user personas, go ahead and click on that blog to get started.)
User personas are especially effective because they help you step into your target audience’s shoes and better understand their needs, pain points, points of resistance, and the solutions they expect you to provide.
This insight into your customer’s behaviors and preferences give you the opportunity to really nail your messaging and create ads that both resonate with your audience and speak to them in a more meaningful way.
Juan is the owner of a local painting company that transforms the exteriors and interiors of homes and businesses.
He wants to expand his business and attract more customers so, through careful data analysis and user persona creation, he identifies his main audience segments: homeowners looking to refresh their living spaces and businesses aiming to create a professional and inviting atmosphere.
This understanding allows Juan to come up with targeted messaging that resonates with each group. For homeowners, he emphasizes the transformative power and curb appeal of a well-painted space, and, for businesses, he highlights the positive impact a fresh paint job and nice aesthetics have on a customer's perception of a business.
Juan's strategy results in ads and messaging that speak directly to the needs and aspirations of his diverse clientele!
2. Build Up Your Online Presence
Every successful business these days needs to have a strong online presence.
With so much of the average person’s life spent online, reading emails, and scrolling through the socials, an active online presence ensures that your brand is always where your potential customers are.
Here are some ways to beef up your presence online.
- Have an optimized website. A responsive and user-friendly website design makes it easy for your potential customers to quickly find the information they’re looking for, whether they’re visiting from a desktop or a smartphone. Include content like blogs, industry updates, how-to guides, and more to make your home services website not just a place to find contact information but a valuable hub where your customers know they can always find something extra when they need it.
- Be active on the socials. It’s 2024 and every home services professional should have a presence on the social media platforms their target audience can be found. Whether it’s TikTok or Facebook, social media lets you reach a wider audience, gives you a way to engage with your customers, and provides a platform to dispense valuable content that positions you as an expert in your industry.
- Have a Google business profile. 9.5 times out of 10, when a potential customer is Googling local home services, they’re going to compare the Google Reviews of the top few companies to see which is the best fit for them. Having a business profile on Google guarantees your hat will be tossed in the ring.
- Encourage referrals on community Facebook pages and websites like Nextdoor, Handy, and Yelp. Word of mouth is often the most reliable way to sway customers to your door, so be sure you have a presence on these sites and positive reviews to back it up.
Judy is the owner of a cleaning services company. She wants to attract more clients so that she can generate more revenue, hire more employees, and expand her business.
To do this, she invests in a sleek, responsive website design. Her new user-friendly website not only showcases her cleaning services but also offers valuable content like cleaning tips, advice on decluttering, and customer testimonials. She also creates a Google Business profile and populates it with positive reviews to position her services as a trustworthy choice!
Knowing she needs more than that, she makes it a point to become more active on social media and community pages, creating accounts on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Nextdoor, Handy, and Yelp to share cleaning hacks, show off dramatic before-and-afters, and engage with her customers.
Her strong online presence makes her more visible to potential customers and positions her company as a reliable and credible cleaning solution!
3. Boost Your Online Reputation
Positive reviews are like gold when it comes to home services, especially if you’re a smaller company.
Don’t be afraid to incentivize online reviews and testimonials because, as we mentioned before, they are often the first thing a potential customer is going to look for after stumbling upon your company online or hearing about you through their hairdresser or second cousin’s coworker.
Offering discounted services or branded merchandise like magnets, pens, lanyards, etc. is a great way to make sure that your Google business profile, Facebook page, Yelp profile, and more are populated with shining reviews that tell the world how great your services are.
And whether it’s on Nextdoor, Google, or social media, you should also be sure to engage with your customers whenever you can.
Consistently answering your potential and existing customers’ questions, responding to feedback, and having excellent customer service are key when building up your reputation.
Yes, even the bad reviews. It’s going to happen sooner or later but the way you handle negative feedback will demonstrate your brand’s commitment to customer service as well as give you the opportunity to mend fences and win back an unhappy customer.
Adam and his brother Steve build custom cabinets for a living and know how important a positive online reputation is.
To boost his online credibility, the brothers offer free cabinet maintenance kits to customers who share their experiences through online Google reviews.
They take turns engaging with their customers on platforms like Facebook and Nextdoor, answering any questions, providing approximate quotes, and responding to any feedback they receive.
This approach leads to a glowing Google Business page with a 4.9 rating, positioning their services as top-notch in their community!
4. Social Media Marketing
The socials are so much more than a place for people to stare at cats and see what their friends are having for dinner.
It’s so much a part of life nowadays that you’ll not only need an active presence on the socials, but you’ll need to extend your marketing efforts there as well if you want your business to succeed.
Platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter are great places for social media advertising campaigns to spread the word about your services or offer promotions and discounts to a wider audience.
Here are some tips for optimizing your social media marketing game:
- Use eye-catching ads with snappy copy and engaging content to increase your followers, reach a new audience, and bring in more customers to your brand.
- Giveaways, challenges, and contests are a great way to encourage audience participation and build up hype for your brand!
- Maintain a cohesive visual identity across all your social media platforms. Consistent branding helps in establishing brand recognition and trust.
- Use features like polls and surveys to engage your audience. It not only encourages interaction but also provides valuable insights into your audience's preferences.
- Encourage your followers to create content related to your brand. Reposting user-generated content not only showcases community support but also diversifies your content and adds a dose of authenticity!
- Host live Q&A sessions, behind-the-scenes looks, or product launches through live videos. Live content often receives higher engagement rates.
Kaveh is the owner of an HVAC company and knows just how important a role social media plays in today’s marketing landscape.
To set his business up for success and growth opportunities, he hires a creative team to create eye-catching ads and engaging videos for uses on his socials and uses Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for strategic advertising campaigns that promote his services and offer promotions that potential customers can’t resist.
He also frequently engages with his followers on social media using trivia questions, polls, photo contests, and more, rewarding the winner with discounted services and building up a sense of community around his brand!
5. Content Marketing Mastery
Your content marketing strategy can make or break your campaign!
In order to position your brand as an industry leader and the ultimate solutions provider, you’ll need to create valuable and high-quality content that both entertains and informs your potential and existing customers!
Here are some ideas:
- Written content like informative blog posts and articles about industry-related trends and updates, and the benefits of your products and services.
- High-quality graphics showing dramatic before-and-afters of your customer’s home.
- Case studies that showcase real-world success stories of satisfied customers who benefited from your services.
- Engaging videos of customer testimonials, reviews, case studies, and demos of your amazing services.
Dave and Wendy are a father-daughter team managing their family’s plumbing business.
There is quite a bit of competition in their area, so their priority is to establish their business as an industry leader and the ultimate expert!
They hire a copywriter, a graphic designer, and a video expert to create high-quality, informative, and valuable content to share on their website and social media pages. Their strategy includes “how-to” blog posts, step-by-step guides on simple plumbing jobs, seasonal advice, and case studies that highlight some of their biggest jobs!
They’ve noticed that since implementing their content strategy, visitors spend more time on their website, download more content, and are sharing their articles with friends and family on social media!
6. Video Marketing for the Win
And while we’re discussing video …
Videos are engaging and fun and, when it comes to marketing, a perfect way to capture your audience’s attention, increase lead generation, stop the mindless scrolling on social media, and put your brand in front of their eyes.
Adding video to your socials, email marketing campaigns, landing pages, and more can give a significant boost to your engagement, earn you more clicks, and draw in more customers.
Here are some more video ideas to try:
A home services professional can create various types of videos to enhance their marketing efforts and connect with their audience. Here are some ideas:
- Service Demonstrations — Showcase your skills by creating videos that demonstrate the process of your services. For example, if you're a plumber, you can create a video on fixing common plumbing issues.
- Customer Testimonials — Feature satisfied customers sharing their positive experiences with your services. Testimonials build trust and credibility.
- Before-and-After Transformations — Highlight the transformation of a space or project by showing before-and-after shots. This is particularly effective for home improvement and renovation services.
- Educational Content — Share valuable tips and advice related to your industry. For instance, a landscaping service could create videos on seasonal lawn care tips.
- Behind-the-Scenes — Give your audience a glimpse into your daily operations. This could include introducing your team, showcasing your workplace, or sharing a typical day on the job.
- Q&A Sessions — Address common questions or concerns your customers might have. This helps in establishing your expertise and providing valuable information.
- DIY Guides — Create step-by-step guides for simple home maintenance tasks. This not only positions you as an expert but also provides value to your audience.
- Community Involvement — Showcase your involvement in local community events or projects. This helps in building a positive image for your brand.
- Special Promotions and Offers — Announce special discounts, promotions, or limited-time offers through video content to create a sense of urgency.
- Virtual Tours — For services like home inspections or real estate, provide virtual tours of properties to give potential customers a comprehensive view.
Jeff is a home renovation contractor in busy Los Angeles and, knowing that he has plenty of competition, he wants to differentiate his brand.
He hires a video editor to create engaging and dynamic videos featuring behind-the-scenes footage, the exciting process of renovating houses, and dramatic before-and-afters of his most challenging projects.
He also uses a storytelling approach to his videos, featuring his clients and his employees, and putting the entire process into a narrative that makes his videos exciting, engaging, and completely binge-worthy!
Since introducing video to his social media and email marketing campaigns, Jeff has seen a huge boost in engagement and potential leads!
7. Local SEO Strategies
For smaller, brick-and-mortar stores, your local SEO strategies are the key to acquiring new customers!
Here are some tips to boost your ranking and get your company noticed:
- Google My Business Optimization — Claim and verify your Google My Business listing to establish a reliable online presence. Make sure your business information is accurate, including name, address, phone number (NAP), and business hours. Enhance your listing by adding high-quality images showcasing your work, premises, and team, and encourage and respond to customer reviews to boost credibility.
- Local Keyword Optimization — Boost local search visibility by using location-specific keywords in your website content, meta tags, and headers. Create dedicated landing pages for different service areas to cater to a broader local audience and use tools like Google's Keyword Planner to identify high-volume local keywords.
- Mobile Optimization — Make sure your website is mobile-friendly to cater to your customers on the go. Guarantee a user-friendly experience for your mobile visitors by keeping graphics and text easy to read and quick to load.
- Local Citations — Build trust by establishing consistent citations across online directories, local business listings, and industry-specific platforms. Make sure your business info is accurate and up to date.
- Local Link Building — Give your brand more credibility by using local backlinks from reputable local websites, community organizations, and industry associations. You can also explore opportunities for link-building through collaborations or sponsorships of local events.
- On-Page SEO — Up your search engine visibility by optimizing title tags, meta descriptions, and header tags with relevant local keywords. Prominently feature your business name, address, and phone number on every page.
- Local Content Creation — Show the locals that you're a great option by creating content that addresses the unique needs and interests of your local audience. Build up community engagement by blogging about local events, projects, and community involvement.
- Schema Markup — Provide search engines with additional business information, such as reviews, services, and location, by implementing schema markup on your website.
- Online Reviews — Actively encourage your customers to leave reviews on platforms like Google, Yelp, and other industry-specific review sites. Respond to both positive and negative reviews!
- Local Social Media Engagement — Stay connected with your local audience by maintaining an active presence on local social media channels. Show that you're one of their own by sharing local news, events, and projects that the community cares about.
Lisa is a dedicated entrepreneur managing her family’s flooring business.
She wants to stand out and acquire new clients, so she decides to take some strategic steps to put her business on top.
She hires a skilled copywriter and an SEO expert to overhaul her website. Some of the improvements made include backlink building, adding alt tags, strategic headlines, and writing keyword-rich blogs, how-to guides, maintenance tips, and more.
Her SEO efforts soon start to pay off when she notices that her website begins to rank within the top 3 search results on Google! The added visibility results in a surge of new customers, solidifying her presence in a competitive market!
8. Build a Strong Brand Identity
You want your home services brand to be instantly recognizable so be sure to be consistent in your branding!
Brand as much of your company as you can, including caps, employee uniforms, equipment bags, trucks, merchandise, and more.
Consistent branding will build recognition, become synonymous with your services, and instill trust in your audience. It also reinforces your professionalism and reliability, contributing to long-term customer loyalty and a positive perception of your business!
After receiving a glowing Google review from a client who mistook the name of her upholstery company for one of her competitors (d'oh!), Maria decides that her branding needs some work.
She hires a graphic designer to create a slick new logo and color scheme for her brand. Pleased with her bold new brand identity, Maria is determined to make her business a memorable one. She revamps her employee’s uniforms, her service trucks, marketing collateral, website, and more to showcase her brand’s new identity and ensure that her clients know exactly who is repairing their furniture!
9. PPC Campaigns
PPC ad campaigns can also be extremely effective in getting your brand in front of potential customers who are Googling your services.
Use platforms like Google ads for targeted online advertising. Your ads should be eye-catching, with high-quality visuals, compelling and persuasive copy, and a clear call to action.
Use an SEO tool like SEMrush or AHrefs to find trending keywords that your target audience is searching for and use them in your ads so that they show up in online searches.
PPC campaigns are also available on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube if you’d like to expand your reach even further. Just be sure that your social media ads are easy to act on and easy to share.
The Jackson family owns a flourishing landscaping company and wants to grow their business enough to be able to move their operations from their garage into a brick-and-mortar store.
To do this, they know they need to attract new customers and significantly amplify their awareness.
They know that digital marketing for home services is crucial and invest in several PPC campaigns, using popular platforms like Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and YouTube ads, as well as a graphic designer and video expert to create attention-grabbing ads and videos with stunning visuals and clever copy.
Soon after, they notice a huge increase in website visits and social media followers, and, not long after that, a surge of new clients wanting to begin services!
10. SMS and Email Campaigns
Email and SMS campaigns can be extremely effective at acquiring new customers, nurturing your existing customers, and re-engaging the ones still on the fence.
Build up an email and SMS list with lead-generating strategies like landing pages, ads, in-person forms, and whatever effective strategies you want to use. Once you’ve accumulated a list, segment it so that each demographic of your audience can have content tailor-made and personalized to resonate with them.
Sending can’t-resist offers like promotions, discounts, and special deals is a great way to draw in new customers and bring back those who engaged with your website or ads but didn’t convert.
Personalize your email content and texts with first names and more for better engagement!
After a surprise snowstorm hits his usually mild-climate hometown, demand for roofing repair is at an all-time high and Pete wants in on the action.
Eager to get his roofing business more revenue, he quickly builds out an email and SMS list of his current clients and leads. He creates an optimized landing page for clients to find all of the information they need and then sends out personalized content, promotions, and offers, being sure to use each recipient's first name.
Pete’s strategy pays off as a wave of new and existing customers come flocking to his website to schedule services with his company!
11. Referral and Loyalty Programs
Be the company your customers want to share with their family and friends!
Offering incentives like discounted services or goodies like free branded merchandise is an easy way to encourage your customers to refer you to their friends, coworkers, and family.
When they do, be sure both the referrer and the referee are rewarded for using your services!
Loyalty programs can be extremely effective here as well. Deals like free services for every so many services purchased (i.e., every 10th service is free) can keep your customers coming back to you time and time again.
Sam, an electrician with his own business, understands the power of word-of-mouth recommendations.
To harness this potential, he initiates a dynamic referral and loyalty program designed to turn his satisfied customers into ambassadors for his brand!
He offers discounted services and exclusive branded merchandise in exchange for every successful referral that not only motivates customers to share their positive experience with friends and family but also creates a network of loyal customers who come to Sam for all their electrical needs!
12. Partnerships and Collaborations
Build strategic alliances with companies related to yours and drum up more business for both of you!
Partner companies offer you the opportunity for cross-promotion and joint marketing efforts (not to mention sharing the costs of those efforts!) that can bring you both more business, more customers, and more benefits.
You can also get involved in your community and sponsor a local Little League team, fundraiser, fun run, or other local event to garner extra publicity for your small business as well as demonstrate your dedication to the community you serve.
Suzanne and Julia are sisters that might butt heads on most things, but they do agree that their interior design business needs more awareness if they are to attract new customers.
To get their name out there, they ally with furniture companies, flooring companies, and home decor stores, to cross-promote each other and expose their clients to each other’s brands!
Because they also believe in giving back to the community, they also decide to sponsor a local bowling league and even contribute to the design of the bowling alley!
This added visibility soon leads to a boost of new clients, which the sisters can both agree is a very good thing.
13. Monitor Your Metrics
Whatever strategies you want to use to boost your brand, be sure to keep your eyes on KPIs so that you can see what is working and what’s not.
Use A/B testing on messaging in your ads or design elements like CTA buttons, headers, and placement to further refine your approach and make sure that your ads, social media posts, and content are delivering on all cylinders. If something isn’t quite working out, don’t be afraid to pivot and fine-tune as needed!
In case you’re curious, here is a list of metrics you can watch as you monitor your campaign.
- Conversion Rate — Measure the percentage of visitors who take a desired action, such as making a purchase or filling out a form.
- Click-Through Rate (CTR) — Track the ratio of clicks to impressions in your ads to assess engagement.
- Return on Investment (ROI) — Evaluate the profitability of your marketing campaigns by comparing the cost to the revenue generated.
- Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC) — Determine the cost associated with acquiring a new customer.
- Bounce Rate — Monitor the percentage of visitors who navigate away from your site after viewing only one page.
- Lead Generation Metrics — Assess metrics related to lead quality, quantity, and conversion rates.
- Social Media Engagement — Track likes, comments, shares, and overall engagement on social media platforms.
- Website Traffic — Analyze overall website traffic and user behavior, including popular pages, entry points, and exit points.
- Email Open and Click Rates— Evaluate the success of your email campaigns by monitoring open and click-through rates.
- Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) — Understand the total value a customer brings to your business over their entire relationship with your brand.
If you’re new to marketing metrics and want to learn more, feel free to check out our recent blog for a guide to crucial KPIs and navigating the world of marketing metrics!
Clyde owns a pest control business and understands the importance of keeping a keen eye on his KPIs so that he can constantly fine-tune his marketing strategies.
He uses A/B testing to find the best CTAs, messaging, and headlines for his digital ads and pays close attention to crucial metrics like conversion rates, click-through rates, and ROI.
This lets him make the best use of his budget and keep his marketing game working at maximum efficiency!
Why Does Your Brand Need Home Services Marketing?
If you’re a business offering home services, then you’ll have to be able to market your company effectively. The right digital marketing strategies are important for many reasons, but here are just a few:
- Increased Visibility — Home services marketing helps your brand become more visible to potential customers. It ensures that your business is easily found when individuals search for relevant services online.
- Attract New Customers — Effective marketing strategies can attract new customers to your business. By showcasing your services and expertise, you can convince homeowners to choose your brand over competitors.
- Set Yourself Apart — The home services industry is often competitive. Marketing allows you to highlight what sets your brand apart—whether it's exceptional service, unique offerings, or competitive pricing.
- Retain Customers — Marketing isn't just about acquiring new customers; it's also about retaining existing ones. Engaging marketing strategies help build customer loyalty and encourage repeat business.
- Online Presence — In today's digital age, having a strong online presence is essential. Home services marketing ensures that your business is well-represented on websites, social media, and other online platforms.
- Build Trust — Homeowners are likely to trust businesses that effectively communicate their expertise and reliability. Marketing helps build trust by showcasing your experience, customer testimonials, and successful projects.
- Adapt to Trends — Marketing strategies evolve with industry trends. Staying updated on marketing trends ensures that your brand remains relevant and continues to appeal to the changing preferences of homeowners.
<div class="c-blog_comp-cta cc-component-1"><div class="c-blog_comp-cta-left"><div class="c-blog_comp-cta-left-wrap"><img src="https://global-uploads.webflow.com/61cdf3c5e0b8155f19e0105b/6369722e59155470b6840033_Potential-clients.png" loading="lazy" alt="" class="c-blog_comp-cta-left-img"></div></div><div class="c-blog_comp-cta-right"><div class="c-blog_comp-content"><div class="c-text-wrapper cc-mb-32"><div class="c-title-4 cc-bold"><strong>Want to save money without sacrificing the quality?</strong></div></div><div class="c-text-wrapper"><div class="c-text-2">Say goodbye to traditional, expensive agencies and unreliable marketplaces. Say hello to Designity.<br></div></div></div><div class="c-blog_comp-wrapper"><a href="/pricing" target="_blank" class="c-button cc-primary cc-inverted w-button"><strong>Get Your 2-Week Trial</strong></a></div></div></div>
Are You Ready to Elevate Your Empire?
If you’re ready to start taking charge in 2024 and implementing any or all of the strategies highlighted above, then that’s great!
But, often, doing so is easier said than done.
If your small business needs an extra marketing boost to expand, grow, and be more successful in 2024, then it’s going to take time, creative talent, and marketing know-how to get you where you need to be.
But don’t fret. That’s what Designity is for.
With Designity on your side, your business gets instant access to a pool of creatives made up of the top 3% of US-based creative talent. This means that you’ll get the perfect graphic designer, copywriter, video expert, social media expert, web designer, and more working to give your brand the best-of-the-best marketing collateral that you’ll need to pull off any of the winning strategies discussed in this article.
You’ll also have a dedicated Creative Director, a design and marketing expert, to source and manage your creative team, organize and schedule your projects, and guide you toward the perfect strategies for your brand.
And the best part?
All you have to do is sit back, approve deliverables as they come, and let your CD handle the rest.
If that sounds like a dream come true, then we invite you to check out our portfolio. If our style vibes with yours, then why not book your demo call today, and let’s get you started with your two-week, no-obligation trial?
Book your call today and let’s see how we can elevate your empire in 2024 and beyond!